Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Influence Maps - Excerpt 1

 
This is the first influence map I designed for The Pit and The Pendulum, I thought I'd break it down into two sections for each excerpt. With one focusing on just the colours and textures whilst the other one is about visual influences from real life objects. I thought this would be a good way to know just what it is I'm trying to research and the colour scheme I'm trying to achieve.
For this influence map I've included an array of dark, cold textures with a few images of old wood and scratched worn metal, decrepid stone tiles and rock. These are all elements that occur in the book. Descriptions that I've translated into textures and colours.

5 comments:

  1. I like your research into textures. grungy looking items will be right at home with Poe's writings I would think. Have you looked at spaces like prison cells or tombs yet... or even caves? They're quite dingy and they seem to engulf light. I don't know if that might help your research. Here are a couple of links that might help.
    http://www.crooktree.com/v/tp/103/213/904573019_4_Saqqara-Ti-Burial-Shaft-6869EG07JHP.jpg

    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SFOTwhHRd5c/TXLyiyrk5eI/AAAAAAAAALo/z2BCBQOLh_4/Etruscan+tomb+interior+2+%25286th+century+B.C.%2529.jpg

    http://www.oregonl5.org/lavatube/images/apecave3.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked :) cheers, yeah I have researched caves, prisons etc they are currently in another influence map that i haven't uploaded yet, How's your work going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first link, that's what I've been trying to find lol I understand what you mean by the second one so that should be useful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man these are looking good, I agree with Emily about the fact you focused just on textures, it will help a lot when it comes to your thumbnails and final concepts :) Also the custom layout is quality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am finding at the moment I am struggling to picture what is going on in a few of Lovecrafts descriptions. I think i am probably limiting myself too much. I am just going to have to keep referencing back to my influence maps. Hows your project coming along Alex?

    ReplyDelete